Professional development for doctoral supervisors
The professional training of supervisors is considered a requirement for successful doctoral education. NeurotechEU partners are offered the possibility for their current and future Ph.D. supervisors to interact with a panel of experts for a series of short training sessions. Different aspects of the supervision of doctoral students will be addressed in interactive online sessions on a weekly basis.
The objective of this training program is to support and inspire Ph.D. supervisors in the development of teaching and leadership skills, and in promoting the use of best practices in the development of their Ph.D. students.
All faculty members within the NeurotechEU universities and associated partners currently supervising Ph.D. students or that aim to become supervisors are welcome to participate. Sessions will be held online, in English, and you can participate in as many sessions as you like.
At the end of the programme the participant will:
- have understood how their role as a Ph.D. supervisor develops over time.
- understand the responsibilities of a Ph.D. supervisor both legally, practically and morally.
- have learned best practices regarding ethics, conflict prevention, feedback and communication as a Ph.D. supervisor.
Prof Bob Harris, Karolinska Institutet
Date and Time:
Wednesday 12.30-13.30 CET
Total workload (8 hours):
Single 1-hour subject sessions as follows:
- 22 February 2023: The process of doctoral education – a supervisor’s perspective (Bob Harris)
- 1 March 2023: Professional responsibility as a supervisor (Bob Harris)
- 8 March 2023: Outcome-based doctoral education (Bob Harris)
- 15 March 2023: Why hamburgers are bad for you – the giving and receiving of feedback (Bob Harris)
- 22 March 2023: Research ethics (Ana Borovecki)
- 29 March 2023: Conflict prevention and management (Bob Harris)
- 5 April 2023: Supervision and communication across cultures (2 hours) (Juha Nieminen) (Note new Zoom link: https://ki-se.zoom.us/j/67481602405 )
Cost & Registration:
No fees. No registration required.
Confirmation of attendance (only for attendees of all sessions) on request.